Tool: Mediation-Oriented Conflict Analysis (MoCA)
The Center currently develops a framework for analyzing conflicts that is oriented towards mediation in three respects:
- It uses the methods, principles and techniques of mediation to analyze a conflict
- It assesses the feasibility and potential of mediation as a method of intervention in a conflict
- It identifies concrete entry-points for third party interventions what ever approach is used
The added value of this kind of conflict analysis is to provide the essential information needed
- to identify whether mediation does or does not fit to a conflict situation and might do more harm than good and
- to design a mediative approach corresponding to the characteristics of the conflict, its dynamic contingencies and the systemic context.
The mediation-oriented conflict analysis can be used for analyzing past peace processes, design and prepare a future process or support an ongoing one.